Thursday, February 28, 2013

List of Potential Trial Start Topics for My SIP
 
            I want to write my trial start on the town of Morganton, North Carolina.  This place isn’t only that place where I grew up, Morganton is a place that shaped me.  The ways of the world aren’t quite present in the small corner of the earth.  It’s a place where mom’s trust their kids to walk to the park alone.  It’s a safe haven for many who deal with mental health issues.  Why would they have chosen Morganton?  The mountains arise throughout the perimeter.  They stand like fortresses around this small town like they’re keeping out the things that might taint this small, American town. 
            People aren’t perfect in Morganton neither are the churches.  As long traditions have set into the structure of this town, people can’t let go of their opinions.  Basically everyone knows the other person’s business.  This results in News Paper Articles and sermon topics.  The white picket fences range into the thousands, and bluegrass is heard under the cracks of doors as one walks down the street with the old mutt they found at the local shelter.  There isn’t a mall.  There isn’t an amusement park.  The local Wal-Mart stands as a landmark and the high schools are the place of amusement—especially when a Friday night football game is scheduled. 
            This small section of earth is the place where I proudly call home, and I think this trial start will center around Morganton, but will also the tackle to the topic of hometown and how it shapes us as human beings in this broken world.  Who I am today is closely attributed to Morganton.  It’s the place where I learned what it meant to have faith.  It’s the place where I learned to be a true friend.  It’s the place I desire most to return.   It’s my home, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment