Saturday, February 2, 2013

Busted lip.  Blood.  Why was there so much blood?  After colliding with another girl on the basketball court, I knew nothing good would come of it.  I instantly covered my mouth as if I was trying to keep a secret closed deeply within.  As I drew my hand away for a split second, I saw the red on my hand.  I only imagined the horrors that awaited me in the mirror as I would reveal the wound. 

Walking off the court, trying not to draw too much attention to the fact that I was probably going to bleed to death, my teammates looked at me quizzically.  Our team captain was running in as she saw me looking a little worried.  "Are you okay," I saw her mouth.  There wasn't any time time to stop so I grabbed a workstudy guy, and he walked with me to the closest first-aid kit in the gym.  As we walked he was giving me pointers on how to fix it, but I'm pretty sure he had no idea what he was talking about.  I tried to tell him while walking that I needed to apply pressure to the wound so to stop the bleeding.  It came out sounding like, "Imh hneed a blurag."  He looked at me like I was crazy.  "I need a rag!"  I said a bit more loudly.  At that point he say the blood running down my chin.  "Oh yeah you do," he said looking grossed out.  I stumbled around people, trying again not to draw attention to the fact I was a mess.  I didn't cry though--which is my one claim to fame.  

Sweet girls stopped me horrified that I wasn't okay.  There faces reminded me of a look one may give to monster they've discovered in their closest.  Great.  

I hurried along, and followed the incompetent boy into the room that held the first-aid kit.  I just needed a rag or something.  Pronto.  After getting a few of these, I went into the bathroom hoping I wouldn't find my lip missing or a broken tooth. "Please God," I prayed.  

I took my hand away slowly, and closed one eye.  I first noticed how ghastly my hair looked.  Dang.  I had walked by more than fifty students with my hair looking crazy, and with blood on my face.  I then looked slowly down to my lower lip.  What I saw surprised me.  It was only a tiny cute.  My two front teeth had laid into my lip in a swift motion making the cut look like two separate cuts. 

The worst part was my  jaw.  It ached.  I washed away the blood, and looked a little more closer.  The cut wasn't too bad, and I would survive.  Good news. 

I walked back over to the game with the rag in my mouth.  I had re-fixed my hair into two braids, and washed my face one more time.  The head of the gym walked over to me making sure stitches weren't needed.  I looked at him bravely recounting the fact that I didn't think it was too bad.  I wanted to go back in the game proving I could handle it.  I ran back in, but as I ran up and down the court the air began to make my lip sting.  Ouch!

I called quite loudly for a sub.  I got one.  End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment