Thursday, February 28, 2013

Adventure

I once wrote a book of my own that today makes me squirm.  I must have been in a huge Jane Austin stage because the whole time I truly trying to be her in my writing.  As a middle schooler this was definitely a challenge.  My character in the book was supposed to resemble Elizabeth Bennet, but instead it resembled (to my now horror) that she was like a rebellious teenager.  Fail.  I wanted to so much to create a story that I would return to over and over again.  Instead, it was a stereotypical tale of a girl who doesn't want to "wed" so escapes into adventures.  I guess I wanted to create the girl I would most want to be like.  I haven't completely taken the job of author out of my mind, but I think children's books would be the most fun.  I mean come one.  Adventure and pirates and flowers and danger....

Lately, I've been quite envious of journalist.  They have fun.  They have adventures. They in a sense live their stories.  I want that, but at the same time it revolts me.  I mean, scary places of the world are places I'd rather just read about not write about. I love reading first-hand accounts.  It amazes me how much there is to discover in the world.  Give me that!

No comments:

Post a Comment