Sunday, January 13, 2013

So SIP preparation is underway, and I've thought seriously about going the creative non-fiction essay route.  I've never talked about memoir so intensely in my life, and I feel like telling stories about my life and how those instances have shaped me is an incredible opportunity.  

As I think back to "Mirrorings" and all that Grealy had to say about her life, I was struck by the emotions it evoked in me.  I mean come on, if you don't feel emotion when reading about her battle with cancer then you may want to analyze yourself.  Writing is an outlet that I take for granted.  I think its easy in college to become mechanical in one's writing that you lose yourself within the words.  Regaining control, and creating a healthier view of writing assignments is one way.  Additionally, seeing those assignments as an opportunity to know and learn more is also key I believe.

I wanna tell more stories too.

Like now.

So, today I decided to study in an academic building that I usually don't step foot in.  I walked in, set my things by a comfy leather chair that reclined a little too much.  I was a tad  parched so I decided to get some water.  A few hours passed while I worked hard on getting ahead in life.  The view from my chair looked out into the mountains, and I was truly amazed while watching the storm rise and finally saw the rain hit the window with loud thumps.  The rain fell harder and harder.  This proved to be a distraction, but I didn't mind.  The sound was beautiful.  That was my favorite part of the day.

Whew.  A story told.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment