Friday, March 1, 2013



            The world experiences change in all kinds of ways.  A tree begins as a small, unnoticeable, acorn into a symbol of strength and beauty.  An infant instantly begins growing after leaving it’s mother’s womb.  Though only touching on the physical in these examples, in my opinion, change is a part of every facet of life.  Change manifests itself in the most ordinary part of our lives and the extraordinary.  No place is untouched by the Creator who gave us, as the creation, the ability to touch and to change.  With this in mind, change is something we can never escape from, but does that make it necessarily bad?  Obviously there are numerous types of change.  Since the beginning of the world, men have strived to change their surroundings.  Historically, countries have gone to war for change.   Whether on a battlefield or in the capital, people have fought for equality and life.  C.S. Lewis likened us and our resistance to change to an egg that refuses to hatch.  “We must hatch or go bad,” remarked Lewis. 
         I flashback to earlier times when I believed change to be curse.  The change that was occurring in my young life rocked any foundation I had formed.  My vision was weak on who I was individually.  I sat on the country-styled couch as I listened, horrified, to the news of our impending move to the South on one particular day in 2002.  I didn’t know how to handle the news.  I wasn’t about to smile or celebrate the news that would completely change the life I had known for years.  I remember mom’s expression as she searched my face for any sign of hope.  The only emotion I felt was rage.  Where was the justice?  This question and others characterized my naïve thoughts.  As humans, we don’t truly learn to accept change until it slaps us in the face.  We seek to live simple lives, far from harm and the storms of life, but is that why we were created to live?  As a twelve-year-old, the end all was moving.  The bigger picture of life holds the hand of change.  There is no simple life.  This shouldn’t lead the reader to think that I believe every life should evolve into celebrity status.  What I mean is we were created for so much more than we truly understand, and that should give us an appreciation for the change that occurs in our lives while living and breathing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment